Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Two Rein

Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Fort fireman
Foal

Default Mouth pieces

I was just curious on some opinions on some mouth pieces. I would love to get a nice silver bit. I'm not going to a spade because I am not ready for it. However i was curious what y'all thought of the half breed, Mona Lisa, and the San juaquin . Eventually I'll probably have one of each but what do you folks feel is the better of the three as an all around decent mouthpiece. I know it's best to handle the bit but here in NC that isn't really an option. I'll have to order online. Currently I'm riding my boy in a les Vogt performax bit with a Santa Barbara cheek and frog mouth.
Fort fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Cattleman
Foal

I really like a Baqueno or a San Jauquin
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Corry
Weanling

I think it's not the rider who decides what mouthpiece is best. It's the horse. Horses don't have mouths that are all built identically, so one has to find out what kind of mouthpiece fits best for a particular horse. Further, the question what bit is best depends on the status of schooling. What kind of mouthpiece works best can change after a couple of months. I think there is no other way than trying and letting the horse decide.
Corry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Fort fireman
Foal

I understand that. However lets face it. I can't drop 1200 bucks for three bits(350-400 bucks a pop). They will have to be bought online so the whole going and handling them each before hand isn't really an option. So I'm just looking to get some pros and cons of each so I can make as educated of a " guess" of what will work.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Corry
Weanling

I know very well what you mean. I'm in a similar situation. Here in Germany, there are no other vaquero-style riders around with whom one could exchange bits. For the time being I have one bit with a San Joaquin mouthpiece which is the one my Arabian horse loves. The other one is a spade bit which is the right one for my QH mare. But I would like to try other mouthpieces too to find out how they work with my horses. And, particularly, I would like to try different types of spade bits on my mare to find out whether there is one that she would like more than the one I have now.

What I plan to do is that from time to time I will buy another bit with another type of mouthpiece, try it on my horses and, after I found which one fits not as good as the others, sell this one. I hope I can get used bits on the internet. So, if I don't keep them all, but alway sell one when I bought the next one, there will be only little financial loss compared to buying and keeping them all.
Corry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Fort fireman
Foal

My plan is to hand them down eventually to my daughters . So even if I end up with one that doesn't work great for my horses maybe down the line it would be a nice hand me down heirloom type thing. Until then it could sit on my mantle as a functional piece of art. however I would like to get something I can use.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
sierrababyblue
Foal

There's such a variety of mouthpieces out there, it can be hard to decide. However, you will see that a majority of the mouthpieces for sale will be either a Salinas, Mona Lisa, San Joaquin, or Half Breed. Less often you will run into Spades and Frogs. For a particular horse, there are a few things to consider: the neck of the horse, his sensitivity to signals, and his mouth shape (teeth, palate, tongue). Then there's the cheek-piece to consider, as well as the leverage ratio. Santa Barbara cheeks are the heaviest, with the most "neutral balance", but there's tons of others. I've had good luck with a Nevada/Banana cheek, and one of the various versions of a Santa Paula Cheek for your average horse in a solid bit. As for mouthpieces, my suggestion is something with a roller, that isn't too wide (across) or to "fat" (thick) inside your horse's mouth. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Last edited by sierrababyblue; 07-17-2014 at 04:03 PM.
sierrababyblue is offline   Reply With Quote