Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > The Snaffle Bit Horse

Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Tosch
Foal

Default Elevating the front end

A few months ago I got some tips from a dressage rider/trainer about what to do to make my horse reach up underneath himself more with his hind legs being it at a walk, trot or lope. I had to figure out how to modify his way of cuing to my way of riding (although I still ride my horse in a snaffle, I humor myself thinking I ride within the boundaries of Classical or Traditional California Horsemanship). This works, my gelding really reaches up underneath himself now and when I want even more I know how to get it. When doing so, as a “byproduct” he rounds his back (more), his head and neck come up a bit and he gets lighter on the front end.

The other day while I was jogging along I thought of “just” elevating the front more to lighten it up and to also rounding the back more. I did it how we discussed it previously http://www.classichorsemanship.com/showthread.php?t=474 by lifting my hands – without pulling his head up – while I also touched him with my legs/spurs in the cinch area to encourage him to elevate the front and round up his back more. It worked fine. I could see and feel his head/neck/shoulders get elevated and his back get up and rounder. It was a feeling I only can compare to riding a bike when you lift the front so that the front wheel hardly touches the ground.

I liked it and I think there has to be place for doing so. However, I do not want to be pulled over by the Traditional/Classical California Horsemanship police handing me a ticket because I am riding front to back while we all try riding back to front.
I fancy the idea that I was NOT riding front to back, which as I understand, is “slowing the front motor down and kicking the back motor up” (Les Vogt).
What is your thought on this?
Tosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Jimmy
Foal

Just because your hand might come first without leg, does not mean you don't have the motor running. It is not always necessary to "drive with your legs", which implies a lot of pressure to go forward. Your seat can stay active, while you encourage your horse to elevate in front. But your not holding him there either. The lightness you feel would not just be in his mouth, but in his carriage, and a feeling of "up". Don't worry what others think anyway. Experiment with it. Hope that helps.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Tosch
Foal

My seat stayed active, I felt lightness in his carriage and a feeling of "up". Yes it helps mucho. Thank you, much obliged!
Tosch is offline   Reply With Quote