Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Straight up in the Bridle

Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

Default Finished Horses

In my opinion the relationship between horse and rider is ever evolving. That being the case how can you say a horse is truly finished? I personally could never say a horse is finished. To me that would mean I was finished learning(which will not happen till I am planted). You may take a horse as far in its training as you are capable of at that time. But as you learn, there are things you will go back and re-teach. True horsemanship is a work in progress, there is no one way to do things, there is only a preferred way. Every horse has it's own personality just as people do. So nothing is set in training; one horse may take a very big signal to start with while another might respond to the most subtle of signals from the start. As our horsemanship is ever progressing so are the horses we are working with. Therefor there is no such thing as a truly finished horse.
This of coarse is just my personal opinion. Curious about what others people's opinion is on this subject.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
pocavistaranch
Weanling

Well i agree with you in that point of lifetime learning.

But for me a horse is finished if i can ride him like to work with a good coworker. Sure the process is still going on but the biggest part is finished.

The last years i had some showhorses to ride. Most of them are not finished like i see it. They can do few things perfect but don't know a lot of real live.
pocavistaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
MikeF
Foal

The way I look at it, one could compare making a bridlehorse to an artist painting a picture...There is always something that can be added or changed to improve the overall picture. The picture is never 'finished'. It is either constantly evolving or the painter/horseman gets to a point where he makes the decision to quit. I believe I read somewhere that Martin Black recommends testing your horsemanship and abilities by upping the speed or tempo of the task at hand. I think he called it a "fire-drill".
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
ChaseChambers
Foal

Default Martin Black

Well, I look at ones like Martin black with the same respect as Ray, Tom or Bill. Especially when he says this: "Theres no such thing as a finished horse. That's why I call my horses, 'Strait up in the bridle'. If a problem ever arises, or if he gets sloppy or too sensitive in areas, I know that i can fall back too the hackamore too fix it up."