Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Straight up in the Bridle

Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

Post Thoughts on Bridle Horses.

I have trained a few bridle horses and a few bridle-less horses. I trained both bridle and bridle-less horses the same way because I feel they are one in the same. They both should be sensitive to the slightest signals. And I personally prefer to ride with my seat and legs. I never considered any of them finished because there were things I would have liked them to do better. Each one of them taught me a lot. Would like to hear other opinions on bridle horses.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Cattleman
Foal

I had a discussion the other day with a man about Bridle Horses, I would be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject. The man told me that he thought it was wrong to try and sell a bridle horse. Because they are so well trained and are so connected to the rider that it would be doing the horse an injustice to sell it. He said that although he loves the art of bridle horsemanship he would never train one with the intent to sell. I told him that I felt it increases the value of the horse, but it also lessens the number of people who are interested or are even capable of riding. Therefore it is difficult to purchase a horse with the intent of working him into the bridle and then selling it. But if you plan on keeping him he can be an incredible asset to you as a horsemen and rancher. I would be interested to hear others opinion on this topic.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
kevinshorses
Weanling

I would also have a problem selling a good bridle horse. It would be like marrying off a daughter. I would have to know that the person buying the horse was MORE qualified to ride a bridlehorse than I am. I also would want the price to be high enough that anyone who bought the horse would take the very best care of it. I've only trained one horse half-assed into a bridle horse and he was never going anywhere anyways. If I buy a horse with the intent to sell it I usually want the horse gone in under six months. If the horse is around more than that I either like the horse too much to ever sell it or I've put too much time and training on it to make any money.

I wouldn't be morally opposed to selling a horse that was straight up in the bridle but after I've put in all that work the horse may be worth more to me than to anyone else.
kevinshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
pocavistaranch
Weanling

kevinhorses,
i agree completely!
This is the reason why i just selling foals or yearlings.
pocavistaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Spankyluvzhosses
Foal

I agree as well. After all the time, sweat, tears and frustration and triumphs that go into making a bridle horse i'm not sure anyone else could appreciate the horse unless the new owner was as skilled or more so than the original trainer. I'm training my mare with the intent to keep for a long time. When its time to move on to another horse I hope that my children will be able to ride her and form their own aspirations to train their own bridle horse! Kinda like a family heirloom!
Spankyluvzhosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

I know a lot of hands out there that will ride a horse for so long and then just sell it cause they want a change. As for myself everything I ride is for sale. I price the good ones high so if they don't sell I don't worry about it. If someone comes to look at and possible buy a bridle horse, I believe it is my job as a horseman to educate them on how to ride it. If I don't feel it will be a good fit for them I will tell them that and wont sell them that horse. I have heard of several people backing away from a horse because they say the horse is to soft for them and they don't feel comfortable riding something that responsive.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Joseph Jesse Bruce
Foal

Default Bridle Horse

I have had the gift of a few Bridle Horses. I would not sell one, as they are something I could never put a value on, in my condition now, I want a horse That is slightly different than I used to ride. We just pretty much sell the weanlings, yearlings, and the two year olds. I have one last colt I hope to get in a Bridle. I feel there needs to be more usefull information on Bit Cheeks, mouths etc. I did my best to put some out in my dvd. I guess the thing I could say about them, is they are a gift to use, and they are made outside, on the job.Be well, and Best of luck on your journeys.
Joseph Jesse Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Su Lynn
Foal

Location: The ranch is located in Northern Caiif. in the Napa Valley area.
Default Hi

I'm taking my first mare to the bridle and am sooo exited, it's like having power steering on a car, once you feel it you just crave it.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
PurpleSageEquine
Weanling

Send a message via Yahoo to PurpleSageEquine

I have put horses into A bridle, but not what I would consider a BRIDLE HORSE, there is a difference. Sold them and got decent money, but it was a chore finding someone that could ride them, they were that soft & light, but never did the hackamore or 2-rein stage with either. They were broke "mainstream" and while very responsive for the average rider, not what I would consider BROKE.

Both my gelding & mare I have just put into the hackamore with hopes of keeping them to put into a bridle and I would sell them at that stage IF I could find someone with enough money to both pay the purchase price & pay for the lessons it would take for them to learn to ride them.
PurpleSageEquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Rustybucket
Foal

Default Bridle Horses

Would someone please be kind enough to thoroughly explain to me what is meant by a "bridle horse?" Thanks.
Rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote