Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Straight up in the Bridle

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Jimmy
Foal

Default A good video source for the bridle horse

This 1983 dvd produced by AQHA showcases Bobby Ingersol on Royal Cutter, and Al Dunning on Expensive Hobby, narrated by Don Dodge. You will have to buy it to see it, but well worth it.
It is an excellent example of how a bridle horse is suppose to work straight up in a bridle. The riding and the style of working or in my opinion still unequaled today. All the so called experts now touting the true Californio Vaquero style working horse that I know of cannot hold a candle to these horses. And you would be hard pressed to tear it down. Even though these horses were show horses, they are the real deal. This is what these horses are supposes to do.
I highly recommend spending the 14.00 dollars (plus shipping) and watching it:

http://www.aqhastore.com/store/produ...ING-COW-HORSE/
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Baquero
Foal

I will also recommend this DVD and agree that if you really want to know what a good bridle horse is, look to the great men from the NRCHA, Expensive Hobby was a neat horse. There are a lot of clinicians and horsemen out there that can't even compare with some of the greats. I was hoping that would come out of the other thread with bridle horse videos, but there isn't much footage online of the great cowhorses. I have been working on posting a video of Johnny Brazil and hope I can do that soon.
Baquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
bryaniv
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baquero View Post
I will also recommend this DVD and agree that if you really want to know what a good bridle horse is, look to the great men from the NRCHA, Expensive Hobby was a neat horse. There are a lot of clinicians and horsemen out there that can't even compare with some of the greats. I was hoping that would come out of the other thread with bridle horse videos, but there isn't much footage online of the great cowhorses. I have been working on posting a video of Johnny Brazil and hope I can do that soon.
But I've heard one looking to practice traditional bridlehorsemanship should stay away from the NRCHA because they speed up the process and work cattle to fast?
bryaniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Jimmy
Foal

You can take all the time you want to take. You don't have to do the futurities. But it is important to see good examples of what the finished product is. Buy that old dvd from the aqha web site. Watch the smoothness, lack of resistance at speed. Watch the skill of the riders. You can also learn a lot of things about reading cattle from them as well. Royal Cutter came off a ranch, and the owner did ranch work with him when he wasn't showing. It is a shame that the recent rise of so called traditionalist frown on showing, when many of them don't have any show experience, and couldn't pull it off if they had to. The bottom line is, the horse your making should be able to perform figure eights, lead changes, good stops, quick turn arounds, straight run downs, and powerful stops, and be able to read and rate a cow, no matter how fast it gets. That is traditional! One way to look at showing is to see it as a test to how correct the work you did is. The contest is just about who has the brokest horse that day.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote