Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Straight up in the Bridle

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Baquero
Foal

The sliding stop has always been a part of the bridle horse. I think some of the aspects of a bridle horse can be found in other disciplines. But there are very distinct differences between them. The sliding stop isn't like what you see in the arena today. The arena stops are long, unbalanced, and unrealistic for working situations. But a good hard balanced stop with the hind end underneath is one of the things that defines a good bridle horse.
Baquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Baquero
Foal

Here is an interesting one to watch, featuring Pat Puckett and his horse Gypsy

Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Jimmy
Foal

Hard to see it real well without a zoom feature. It seems he really like the turns on the outside hind. I don't quite get that part, but that just me.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Baquero
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Hard to see it real well without a zoom feature. It seems he really like the turns on the outside hind. I don't quite get that part, but that just me.
If you hover over the video with your mouse in the upper left there should be a link you can click to open it on youtube and watch it in full screen. I personally don't like the positioning of this horses feet in a few of the manuevers but one of the reasons why I am posting a few of these videos is for comparison. And for people to see that not all bridle horses are trained exactly the same, I think the bridle horse has become almost a fantasized thing in some peoples mind. The romance is part of the fun, but it takes putting a few horses in the bridle before you can make a great one. Most people never come close, but it is achievable. It isn't a fantasy, it is a reality it just takes dedication. Not all bridle horses are created equal though, that is why I think it is valuable to see and critique various examples.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Jimmy
Foal

So I watched it again on u tube in full screen and liked it even less. And the parts he shows in slow motion, I assume because he likes them a lot, are the worst parts. The horse is bunched up and tight. The horse rings his tail. The movements are not fluid. It is just not pretty, in fact, those quick stop/turn things are just funky. I don't get it. I have met Pat and liked him. He judged me in a colt breaking contest a while a go. I know he is a good friend of Buck.
But I was around a lot of old (now) California bridle-men. This is not an improvement, in my opinion. I know Ray said a horse should turn on his outside foot. If this is an example of that being better, I am not interested in it. Sorry to be so critical here. I have seen demonstrations of Doma Vaquera style riding that is much prettier. So I don't understand why Pat is proud of this video.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Jimmy
Foal

Here is an interesting one:

I don't know how to paste the video, but I think you can cut and paste to your browser.

Compared to the others, this is smoother, quieter, careful and softer. I think the backing up in a circle is a modern twist. But its so pretty, it's almost boring.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Rex Easley
Weanling

Here is my horse Huckleberry, in the Two Rein selling at the Winnemucca sale.

Rex Easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Jimmy
Foal

Like a friend of mine would say, that's one good broke ranchy sombitch!
I like the fact that there is no pretense to any of it. He just works, and works well in a working situation. Good job there, Jeff!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
DocsMinnieElixer
Weanling

Rex that horse worked beautifully! Not a change in that horse's expression the whole time, he was absolutely quiet and knew exactly what his job was. Wonderful job, I hope he brought a really nice price for you, it would be well deserved!
DocsMinnieElixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Rex Easley
Weanling

Thank you, he had an off day in Santa Ynez but was on his he at the sale
Rex Easley is offline   Reply With Quote