Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Horse Health

Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
flyingcollie
Weanling

Never saw thrush on range horses. I always associated it with dirty stalls and mucky corrals. Glad to see "bleach" suggested, we always treated with Chlorox . . . and kept 'em clean.
flyingcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
aussieingermany
Foal

I make up my own solution in a spray bottle ...copper sulphate cider vinegar and water....works a treat every time...
aussieingermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
MissNVaquero
Foal

There's this stuff out there called "Thrush Magic" - I had a very bad case of thrush with this one horse. It wasn't rampant but it was deep in his collateral grooves and central sulcus. I tried a number of things - purple things, green things, sugar-dine, a mixture of bacitracin and athlete's foot creme...you name it I tried it. The thing that really got this stubborn bit to go away was the cow mastitis stuff - Today or Tomorrow (can't remember which) and Thrush Magic. I prefer the Thrush Magic because it's a thicker goo that really stuck to the hoof even when it was wet and muddy out. The cow mastitis stuff worked great too but its a bit more liquidy than the Thrush Magic. I had this stuff (both the Today/Tomorrow & the Thrush Magic) clear up the thrush in 4 days.
MissNVaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Val Gilbert
Foal

I have learned that peroxide actually works pretty well and doesn't have the same problems as bleach (white spots on your boots!). I clean the foot really well. Rinse it off if possible. The pour on some peroxide. Since oxygen kills thrush all the tiny bubbles really get deep in there. I will even use my hoof pick to smoosh it in. Generally works in one treatment unless the foot gets really bad. Then it might take two.
Val Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote