Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Horse Health

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Cabacha
Foal

Please don't ever even consider feeding dog food to your horse. Of course they got fat and shiny with all the fillers and cheap fat in that stuff. It would be the equivalent to eating at a low end fast food restaurant for every meal - worse because of the stuff they spray and put on it. Do some research on what qualifies as dog food, especially cheap stuff. I don't mean to be rude here but I honestly don't know how anyone in this day and age would even consider that.

Quarter Horses are pretty easy to feed, it should not take you long on a good horse feeding program, with enough fat and balanced vits and mins to provide needs. If you want specifics and are willing to put the effort, time and money in, I can sure give you suggestions.

And PLEASE, anyone reading this do not consider giving your plant eating horse stuff I would not even feed my own dog. If you want cheap, stick with grass hay and oats - will serve your horse better in the long run.

Last edited by Cabacha; 01-04-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: (sp)
Cabacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Cabacha
Foal

Rex...sorry to offend you. I don't know how you got your opinion, as I've made two posts here, only one giving my view on horses eating dog food - and I did give reasons. I did not claim anything or try to sell anything, so what gives? I think it is hardly snobbish to ask folks not to give their horses food intended for a meat eating animal.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Cabacha
Foal

I'm not looking for a fight and it sure seems as if you are gunning for one with me. You are entitled to your opinions, just as am I. As a matter of fact, I was appalled at the suggestion for dog food...and I am sure a starving kid would love fast food but I am also sure he'd be sick as heck after eating it.

If this is what this forum is about then I surely don't need it.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Cabacha
Foal

What I find offensive is your personal comments towards me such as "lost respect for", "folks like you" "like you have a clue" and "have all the answers". I don't know you and you don't know me, so I don't expect you to have any respect for me and you sure don't know where I am coming from. I would be like me saying I've been around plenty of ignorant cowboys like you that are abusive to women and think they are superior because they have an idea.

You say you do research, so I would research on how bad corn is for horses including mycotoxins and insulin levels.

I'm done bickering with you and you are most welcome to have the last word, as I am sure your ego will compel you to do.

It is great you have saved 100's of horses...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Administrator
Administrator

I have held out on closing this thread, this forum was created for an open discussion without the belittlement of others. There are a few times in this thread where the discussions have crossed the line. There is no place in this forum for finger pointing or name calling. The beauty of this forum is that we are all entitled to our opinions no matter how strong, invalid, or "correct" they are. I think there is some healthy discussion in this thread, hence I will keep it open. I hope that we all can keep it on topic and focused on horsemanship.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Cattleman
Foal

Corn is ok to feed your horse but it should be supplemented with legumes or other high protein sources. Such as Linseed meal, soybean meal or cottonseed meal.

You may also look into adding small amounts of molasses to the feed you are already giving him. However keep it in small amounts or he will end up with the runs. Corn oil or Flaxseed oil as was mentioned can also be a healthy way to add a few extra pounds.

Or do it the old fashioned way, give them a high energy high protein diet. Then saddle em up and go to work.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Jake
Foal

I use my horse's for work. I'm looking to put weight on my horse in a safe manner. I'm looking at ALL options. On ranch hand wages I dont have a lots of extra spending cash. The ranch supply's grass hay and oats. I got the horse on the thin side, and now I'm trying to right the wrong the done to the horse.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
pocavistaranch
Weanling

My thoughts:

If his teeth are floated it may takes some times for him to handle the new situation. In fact i have leased a broodmare a couple of years ago with really bad teeth. Called the dentist but later she lost weight... tooks a lot of time for her to handle the new situation.

In my opinion alfalfa is great to put weight on horses in a save way.
Corn, Barley and few Melasses too. Then i give them some oil (rape or linseed) but not longer than 6 weeks because horses have a gastro-intestinal tract wich is sensitive on oil. Oil can work as glue. Hard to explain for me. I'm not a native english speaker, sorry.
pocavistaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
JudyT
Foal

Stay away from dog food and espically the cheap kind.Why do you think so many dogs are having cancer now days...
JudyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
d&dropes
Foal

there are also lots of supplements, that will incorporate several things, like flax, alfalfa, or corn, with vitamins and minerals, and probiotics. A thought, that you don't want to be burning more calories than he's consuming, in order to get weight gain; maybe adding another meal to his day? a lot of people will also supplement Calf manna here, and manna pro does make a sho-glo supplement. usually things targeted towards shiny coat will help with weight gain as well.
d&dropes is offline   Reply With Quote