Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Horse Health

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Jake
Foal

Default Weight gain

Whats the best way to get weight on a horse that needs some pounds? Thanks for the help.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
John
Foal

Default adding weight

high fat, low protien, and add magneisium (get it at human health food store, give human dose.{cannot overdose}) feed 3 to 4 times a day and will put pounds on quickly without foundering or colicing.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Collaborate
Foal

Default Putting weight on a horse.

I'd de-worm first, if it has been a while I'd start with safeguard or panacur. Then I might de-worm again a week later with the power-dose safeguard offers or power-pac panacur offers. After that I might check those teeth with the vet to be sure it's not a dental issue (sharp molars, caps, infection, etc). I'd be sure to add a free choice loose mineral and a block style salt block. After that I might offer a good quality tested forage and let the horse eat by itself at least half the day. I'd get a high fiber pelleted feed or something that works well for older horses and work them up to 6 lbs twice daily over a two week period for a 1100lb adult horse (read the labels of course to see what their recommended limits are on any feed for any stage of growth or activity). I might even add some soaked beet pulp into the diet. They'll need lots more water available with all the extra feed.
I don't mean to offend if I sound to obvious here. You may have a plain hard horse to keep weight on, which might simply require you to maintain an increased, steady flow of calories. Cheers
Collaborate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Cabacha
Foal

Jake...what breed/age is your horse and what are you feeding now?
Cabacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Jake
Foal

I just got the horse. He's just had he's teeth floated and he's been wormed. He's a 12yr old quarter horse. I'm feeding him grass hay. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Cattleman
Foal

Is this horse underweight as in no meat on its bones? Or are you wanting to muscle up the horse?
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
kevinshorses
Weanling

Cheap dog food is a great horse feed when you can get them to eat it.
kevinshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Jake
Foal

Cattleman- Both. He's a working horse and I like them healthy with some meat on them.
Kevin- Dog food huh? Anything to look for in the ingredients?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
d&dropes
Foal

I would not use dog food. Most of the cheap ones use a lot of chemicals and preservatives in them. and horses are vegetarians. er-well, they're supposed to be! I've known some to steal hotdogs!

All you can eat grass hay, I like feeding several grain meals a day when possible, so its not as much per feeding. I also will add ground flax seed to the meal, i've given as much as a cup 3x a day. some folks like to use rice bran.

I also will supplement fiber, adding beet pulp, usually only needed by mine in the winter.( we're in florida so it doesn't get THAT cold ) You could also try supplementing with some alfalfa pellets in the grain meal, or a flake of grass/alfalfa hay.

Being as he's just had his teeth done, you may not want to change too much just yet, give his system a chance to catch up to all the updates.
d&dropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
kevinshorses
Weanling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Kevin- Dog food huh? Anything to look for in the ingredients?
I wouldn't buy any that have meat in the first two ingredients. The majority of cheap dog food has VERY little meat in it. It may not be cost effective to feed it as it may be cheaped to buy horse feed. I worked for a guy that had a contract to buy all the end run and rejected dog food from a plant. He fed it to horses, cattle and pigs and it fattened them all. He had one horse that he bought from an auction that was very thin and in a very short time that horse was fat and shiny.
kevinshorses is offline   Reply With Quote