Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Horse Health

Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Personal Vet Kit

I spent the weekend doctoring a sick horse, that eventually needed professional veterinary care. I was able to do a lot to help the horse in the initial stages of the illness that helped the horse and saved me from having a larger vet bill. When I took the horse to the vet there was a young girl ahead of me with her horse that had a large cut on it's leg. She was in tears because of the unforeseen costs that she was now acquiring. My vet is very good about explaining costs as he does the procedures so that the patient isn't startled by the end bill and is ultimately the one who decides how much is spent on the rehabilitation of there horse. I respect this in him a lot. After he helped the girl out and we helped her load the horse in the trailer, I had a discussion with the vet. He said that too often people purchase horses and all of the necessary tack and riding gear, but they don't think about the health of the horse. The unfortunate thing about vet bills is that you often have to decide how much you are willing to spend on a horse. It is said that financial decisions often become a part of how much you are able to help your horse. Sometimes a $7,000 surgical procedure to help with colic just isn't possible.

But when purchasing a horse people need to plan for unplanned health expenses. And be prepared for when emergencies or illnesses arise. The vet then explained that much of that young girls bill was going to be supplies for her to doctor her horse at home. The vet was able to give the initial treatment but the extended treatment was to be performed by the girl. The vet explained that he wished more people would take the time to prepare there own personal first aid kit. I put together a quick list of some of the things that I have in my trailer and hope that others will add there insights on what has helped them over the years. I am sure I don't have everything or may have forgotten some. If you have questions about why I have certain items on the list feel free to ask and I will explain as best I can.

In no particular order some items to consider:

Stethoscope
Thermometer
Rubber Gloves
Vet Wrap
Gauze Rolls
Non-stick gauze pads
Scissors
Bute
Hoof Pick
Epsom Salts
Pocket knife
Neosporin or Antibiotic rub
Fly repellant
A binder with all my horses medical records (this comes in handy when I need to show that they are up to date on all there shots)
A diaper (to wrap the horses hoof)
Large and small syringes
Bottle of distilled water or saline solution
Anti Bacterial Soap
Hydrogen Peroxide
An assortment of brushes
Wipe packets
Paper Towels
Saline Solution
Vaseline
Betadine
Banamine
Cotton Swabs
A horse health book
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Mary Margaret
Foal

Wow! That is a pretty thorough list. The only thing I would add is a roll of duct tape (wide) and a few extra syringes of assorted sizes. Oh, and if you do a lot of trail riding or camping with your horse you might want to throw in a syringe or two of electrolytes - a tip from an RN that came in really handy for me last year when I had a horse suffering from muscle cramps after sweating a lot and not drinking enough to replace what she'd lost. Thanks for starting this - you've given me some ideas for my own first aid kit. The only other thing I'd suggest is that you schedule a time once a year to go through it and get rid of the things that might have expired or gone bad.
Mary Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Cattleman
Foal

Something I learned that has helped me over the years is that when you use vet wrap you don't want to wrap it tight. The vet wrap stretches as you unroll it, so to overcome wrapping it too tight never wrap while pulling. Pull the length out of the roll, and then wrap leg. This takes the tension out of the wrap, and it doesn't bind, it allows the wrap to stay loose and the horse to move without being too restricting.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote