Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > General Horsemanship

Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Cattleman
Foal

Default Horsemanship in the show ring

How come we do not see this style of horsemanship practiced more in the show ring? Why do you think there aren't many "clinicians" today who are competing? Ray Hunt was a showman who placed well at the cow palace. Why do we not see more of his followers or other clinicians trying to win in the show ring?
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Jimmy
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman View Post
How come we do not see this style of horsemanship practiced more in the show ring? Why do you think there aren't many "clinicians" today who are competing? Ray Hunt was a showman who placed well at the cow palace. Why do we not see more of his followers or other clinicians trying to win in the show ring?
Jaton Lord, Ray' grandson, competes in reined cow horse. So does Luke Nuebert, or he used to. There are many others, actually.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Baquero
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Jaton Lord, Ray' grandson, competes in reined cow horse. So does Luke Nuebert, or he used to. There are many others, actually.
Jaton Lord, a few of the Nueberts, Martin Black, Joe Wolter, and others compete or have competed. This goes back to a conversation that was had on another thread here. Ray Hunt used to show his horses and did really well. He then decided to change course, go on the road, and become a clinician. He turned it into a profession, it used to be that a clinic was when a ranch would send it's workers to learn from someone or that person would go to the ranch to work with the workers. Nowadays clinicians travel all over and have people sign up to participate. It's a different thing than it used to be, they kind of evolved with Ray Hunt and others. Ray wasn't the first one to do it but he is the one most people know about. When a clinician is on the road it is next to impossible for them to be able to work with there own horses enough to compete, let alone take the time to go to one of the shows.

Why would a clinician go to a show, it costs them money to compete, they aren't guaranteed a win. There are show fees and it is missed revenue that they could get if they had a full schedule in there clinics. A lot of the so called "clinicians" do a lot of colt starting, they start the colts and then others finish them. The Neuberts and Martin Black have started horses that later went on to be successful in reined cowhorse and reining events.

I personally like where I think the question was directed, I would like to see more of the riders today compete against one another. I try and understand why there has become a great divide between clinicians and the show pen. Some of it has to do with the way the show world has become, the money really has influenced the way the events are set up. But I also think the money has influenced clinicians, they just serve the horse community differently. I would love to see Buck Brannaman or others put a horse together to go compete in reined cow horse events. But there are a lot of trainers out there who show and train full time, the clinicians for whatever reason (lack of ability by the horse, a bad day by horse or rider, difference in judging opinions, getting a bad cow, lack of training, lack of showmanship, etc) if they were to lose like everyone does it could hurt there reputation and ability to fill clinics. I am not saying this is the only reason you don't see more compete but it could be a factor. They may not be interested in competing, the show ring isn't for everyone.

But I will say that there is a lot of great horsemanship going on in the show ring that shouldn't be overlooked if you are trying to better your horse. Each time that I have shown I have improved my horsemanship. I was told by a great horseman to "show the horse you bring to town" I try and show the abilities that I have instilled in my horse when I show. The judges are there to give me an opinion of how well my horse performs and how well the training I have put on him is. I take the show arena as a test of our abilities and to see how far we have come. It can be a great way to learn your abilities and has made me seek knowledge faster than anything else I have done. You can't become complacent in the show world. It would be neat to see some of the more well known clinicians put some horses together to compete in more events, to show there abilities. I don't doubt many of them could do well, if it was something they wanted to do.
Baquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Jan
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baquero View Post
... the clinicians for whatever reason (lack of ability by the horse, a bad day by horse or rider, difference in judging opinions, getting a bad cow, lack of training, lack of showmanship, etc) if they were to lose like everyone does it could hurt there reputation and ability to fill clinics. I am not saying this is the only reason you don't see more compete but it could be a factor. They may not be interested in competing, the show ring isn't for everyone.

But I will say that there is a lot of great horsemanship going on in the show ring that shouldn't be overlooked if you are trying to better your horse.
We've seen Martin and his wife compete a number of times--some good, some not as good. But a few years back in Elko, Martin showed a bay horse in the bridle in the stockhorse class and rode the entire time (dry work, fence work, cutting, roping) with SLACK in the reins--bigtime slack! Never picked up on his reins once, even to slide or back up. His horse was the best by far--so light and collected, cowy, and spun like it was on ball bearings. It was the best performance I have ever witnessed. He had a bad cow in the roping and went off pattern in the dry work, so with two zero's, he didn't "win." But in our eyes, he won it hands down.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote