Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Leather and Tack

Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
d&dropes
Foal

Default Leather Care- what do you use?

I'm wondering, with all the leather care products out on the market..What is your favorite? What are the typical issues that you run into? Here in Florida, the humidity is high and mold runs rampant!
d&dropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Jane
Foal

Here in Ireland the mold can take a hold quick too! I keep trying all the new products and none of them hold a torch to a bar of glycerine for a saddle that gets used. If I'm going to store one then I use Ko-cho-line and cover it with an old cotton sheet, but make sure to wipe it down before I use it as that stuff will stain clothes.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
d&dropes
Foal

I agree, I love me a good bar of saddle soap!! Any favorites for conditioning an older saddle that may be drier and previously moldy? lol!!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Jane
Foal

If I've some leather that hasn't stored well and has dried up and/or gone mouldy, I'd take my time re-conditioning it over a period of days, with the glycerine bar. I just rub it down first with a cloth wetted in warm water, making sure its clean and dry before starting with the saddle soap.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Steve C
Weanling

I use nothing but olive oil, I was told to do this by a saddlemaker of 45 years standing. Many of the newer lubes have a petroleum base that will rot stitching and is not good for leather at all.

Steve
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
wvrider
Foal

I use the leather therapy on really moldy tack, but usually I just use the glycerine soap and a VERY light coating of 100% neatsfoot oil. I've used the beeswax based butters, but you have to make sure the leather is clean and warm, then buff it with a clean cloth to get the extra off. Otherwise, when your body warm the wax it gets on you!
wvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Shane Cross
Foal

Send a message via AIM to Shane Cross Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Cross Send a message via Skype™ to Shane Cross
Thumbs up Best leather condioner

I use and recommend Oakwood Leather Conditioner, i have used many others but feel this is truley the best.
Shane Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
d&dropes
Foal

Awesome!!! I love hearing all the tried and true methods!! Its neat to see what people from all over like to use
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
greenbroke
Foal

i've found the oakwood conditioner to be good for all leather goods. i find the more wax and oil you put on your leather the more trouble you can have with mold,because thats what the mold is growing on.natural oils like olive oil or pure neetsfoot oil seem to work well to keep life in the leather if used spareingly.

i put oakwood on heavy. i rub it in with my hands and the leave the boots next to the wood stove to soak up the excess. in summer i'll leave a saddle out in the hot sun to soak up the excess.

this works for us here in wisconsin
greenbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
PurpleSageEquine
Weanling

Send a message via Yahoo to PurpleSageEquine

I use Murphey's Oil Soap to clean with and olive oil to condition. Have been told this by several custom saddle makers, both western & english. The olive oil has a smaller moleculr structure that makes it absorb more quickly and completely. You don't have to use near as much as other conditioners.
PurpleSageEquine is offline   Reply With Quote