Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > General Horsemanship

Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
cjjones
Foal

Default Basic speed control.

I'm interested to hear everybody's opinion in gaining control of your horses gates. My horse is very fast. When asking for much more than a walk it usually starts out with a fast trot, then she bolts. I'm gaining on getting her to stay in a trot for short periods. A lope is out of the question. Any thoughts on how to get the horse to slow down and think vs just bolting like her life depends on it? The horse is very sensitive it does not take much more than leaning forward and we are off. Thank you in advance.
cjjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Jimmy
Foal

What kind of horse? What age? How much riding has he/she had? What bit? How much experience do you have? There are a lot of factors. Need a place to start first.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
cjjones
Foal

the horse is 5. Riding in a snaffle bit.quite a bit of Riding, mostly walking. It took a long time to get to where we could just walk without trying to take off. Not sure of the breed of horse. It is speculated that she is a quarter horse Arabian cross. I've done some roping of the horse. If things are slow and quiet everything goes good the horse handles well in these situations.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Jimmy
Foal

I'll give internet training a try. I'm assuming you do not have access to someone who can help you in person.
I know some generalities. Some Arabian type horses simply excite themselves through movement. Their adrenaline goes up. Faster means excitement. So that is something that makes things harder, if that is the case.
One thing I know is true, almost always. Before a horse does something he gets ready. There is something that happens before, something changes. It might change quick. If you can become aware of when those moments are, that is when you can head things off.
I don't know if you can her head around, get a bend in her, but if you trot off, for instance, at some point she is going to speed up. Before she speeds up, bend her. Might mean you have to take her head clear around, making sure her hips move around to, away from the direction. Maybe she will flop around like a fish. Stay passive, just take one rein. Don't be kicking her. Be careful, though. If she doesn't have a few beginner lessons in this, she could rear or flip. I don't know what you know or don't know.
If every time she speeds up you take her head around, then let her go, pretty soon when you reach down that rein, she will start to come around. This is a way to get to her feet. It is also a way you can avoid her learning how to push through the snaffle, with both reins.Do both sides, then you could introduce both reins a little bit, provided she knows how to give to the snaffle a little. Work her on circles, and try to get her to stay put at some speed she is comfortable at. Learn to post. Get with her movement, find a rhythm with it. Get it good at a trot before you lope. Also use a smaller arena or area, maybe.
I don't know if any of this will fit your horse. The internet is a horrible place to train a horse.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
cjjones
Foal

You hit the nail on the head with stating they get excited. You can almost see the lights go out and the brain shut off. If i can get her to stay with me mentally things go great. Thank you for your help. That is what I've been doing by taking her head around, it's just going to take time.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Jan
Foal

Make sure when you take her head around that the feet come too. Make sure you aren't snatching her when you pick up that one rein--pick it up with feel. When she speeds up and you bend her onto a circle or serpentine, you allow her to move her feet without arguing with her, but you are just making it more difficult for her to go fast. Then the instant you feel her relax, soften and give to you, be sure you give her slack and get real still so as to make that nice for her--her reward--and let her line out and go straight until she takes off again.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
cjjones
Foal

Thank you. I will pay special attention to what you mentioned. Thanks for all the help.