Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > General Horsemanship

Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Jimmy
Foal

Default you need to put the emphasis at the front not at the back.

His description is a little misleading. You can generate a lot of energy from behind with a flag or even a stick, without the horse worried about what is behind him, as long as you are directing where he his looking and aware of where he wants to go, and what he is getting ready to do. Yes, if he is not even looking in or trying or getting ready, all the waving, yelling and whacking and flagging will be useless. You need to co-ordinate your lead rope in front with what you might encourage from behind. You may have to do what you need to do to get a response, but watch for the change and the try. You have to be able to direct them. They cannot run over you, or run away from you. But you have to keep them trying. And get them straight with the trailer.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
kevinshorses
Weanling

I'll tell you all how I load a horse that won't load if I don't have time for a lot of training and I just need to get the horse in the trailer and home. I lead the horse up as close as I can (usually the front legs go right to the edge of the trailer) then I tie the lead rope as far in the trailer as I can (I have a rope halter with extra long lead rope). Next I get behind and put some pressure on them. This part takes a little feel because I don't want to beat the horse into the trailer but I don't want to just stand there for hours either. Most of the time I can get the horse to step in relatively calmly in less than ten minutes. Sometimes the horse will pull back and fight a little but I'm back there to discourage that nonsense. The trailer door is on one side and I can block the other side by stepping over a little so the horse steps up because it's the best place for it to go.

If I have a couple of days to train on one then I do it a little different but this works pretty good. It's best if your trailer is wide enough for the horse to turn around to unload but that's not usually a problem if your trailer is less than 20 years old.

Last edited by kevinshorses; 09-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
kevinshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
DocsMinnieElixer
Weanling

Before I even attempt to load them I need to be sure the horse will follow a feel on the lead, the horse will drive forward without me having to smack or swing anything behind his butt, and the horse will move his shoulders away from me in case he wants to come into my space in order to evade the trailer. I no longer go inside the trailer in front of my horse. I stand outside and suggest he goes in with a feel of the rope. I give him some time to sniff or touch the trailer. I will suggest he put a foot on the trailer by using my stick or whip or toe of my boot to tap and "drive" one front foot until they lift it off the ground. The foot doesn't have to do anything other than lift off the ground for a second and they are rubbed and rewarded. Then I can drive that foot a little more each time until they are looking for something to do with that foot in order to get the reward. They start pawing the trailer, they'll stand a foot on the trailer, than I can start looking at the other foot and put a little pressure on it until they put that foot on the trailer. I let the horse back off the trailer whenever he wants, then I go ahead and drive that front leg/girth line until he tries to find an answer to the question I'm asking and they realize that his feet on the trailer and forward motion equals a reward/rub.

I usually teach that foot to "explore" before ever trying to trailer. I'll walk them up to a barrel on it's side and tap the back of a front foot until they get to where their knee knocks it. Reward ever time they touch it. They they will paw it, step over it, straddle it, push it, etc. They start looking for ways to answer the puzzle you have presented them. The driving cue is refined so you can just tap the air with a finger toward the back of their front leg or girth line, and by the time you make it to the trailer you just suggest that leg move forward and they are trying to get their feet on the trailer and figure out what it is you want them to do. Sure you could just figure if they follow a feel you could get them on the trailer pretty easily, but I want the horse to feel like he conquered the trailer, and build a lot of confidence in himself because it was "his" idea to get in there in the first place.
DocsMinnieElixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
blucas
Foal

I have to say I don't really agree with a horse that leads well, loads well. I have a horse that leads fantastic, even my 2 1/2 yr old grand daughter can lead her around. However, she gets about 6 feet from the trailer and her feet are in concrete. I can work with her and work with her and can get her front legs to the trailer and that takes about 3 hrs. I would love some good advice here. Thanks
blucas is offline   Reply With Quote