Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Leather and Tack

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Cattleman
Foal

Default Standard 3 bar saddle vs. a wade saddle

I grew up riding a standard quarter horse 3 bar saddle. However I have noticed that the trend has gone more towards roping in a wade saddle. Which do you ride and why do you prefer it?
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

I have rode lots of different saddles. I ride a wade now and I like the sense of closeness I get from it. I wont ever go back, it is wades for me from now on.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Alanbell
Foal

The difference between the saddle styles is mostly in the fork and it's shape. I could list all the differences for you but better still head on over to my tree makers website www.rodnikkel.com and you will find out everything you never knew you wanted to know about saddletrees! Tell em I sent ya!
Alanbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
dustychaps
Foal

i second That! Talk to Rod he knows!
dustychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
pocavistaranch
Weanling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisHeritageRanch View Post
I have rode lots of different saddles. I ride a wade now and I like the sense of closeness I get from it. I wont ever go back, it is wades for me from now on.
This is like i think about it. Most saddles i rode couldn't give me the closeness. But i don't rope that much. So maybe my opinion isn't necessary. ;-)
pocavistaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Joseph Jesse Bruce
Foal

Default Trees

From what I recall, the Wade and its modern counterparts was copied from the bars of a saddle that the Wades Grandfather had gotten back East somewhere (St Joe?) Hamley copied them and made the gullet wider for modern (at that time) horses. A full Q H tree is aproxx 8 in in the gullet and the bars flatten out as they go back. Gullet height, width, and rock are all things that come into play. I think there are about 10 different styles of Wades now. Usually from 8-11 in in front. I have ridden a Denny Hunt for years, and I now have a Dean Oliver 10& 1/2 in front I like. I have never liked a cantle more than 21/2 in high. I have a Severe I won, on an Olin Young tree, That is a Favorite, and a Joe Gray tree I like alot. I only like Wood, and rawhide trees. as my horses have alot of wither, I use a good cut out (5-Star Todd Sloan) over 1 or two double Navajos.
Joseph Jesse Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
wvrider
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanbell View Post
The difference between the saddle styles is mostly in the fork and it's shape. I could list all the differences for you but better still head on over to my tree makers website www.rodnikkel.com and you will find out everything you never knew you wanted to know about saddletrees! Tell em I sent ya!
@Allen, thank you very much for sharing this link! I'll trying to decide on a custom saddle, but I know that it's the tree (not that the tooling or stamping isn't pretty) that makes it comfortable and useful. Great saddles are a lifetime investment and its hard to know if they will fit and feel good. This information makes it much clearer. Thanks again.
wvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
LoriR
Foal

I have heard that the Wade tree will fit more horses? Is this so? And I've read that you can get a 90 or 93 degree angle. I'm inclined to get the 93 for my wide QH mare. How would I know which to get? I realize some saddle makers have you measure using wire but not sure what mine will do.

I'm hoping to have the funds to order a custom saddle this spring. I plan to have a friend who has been making saddles for over 25 years build it. She'll use a Rod Nikkel tree so glad to have seen it recommended here.

I'd really like a lighter saddle. I'm getting older and not as strong as I once was.
Lori
LoriR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
gtyyup
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriR View Post
I'd really like a lighter saddle. I'm getting older and not as strong as I once was.
Lori
I had Clay Sharp make my Wade and he specifically makes a "ladies wade." It's not as heavy and he made it so my hips don't get pulled apart. The only thing I don't like is that I ordered the seat an inch too big and during my herd work and stops I always fall forward.
gtyyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
TWOPONY
Foal

Default Lady Wade Saddles

Quite a few years ago (12+) I had a custom lady wade made for me. OMG there is no comparison for me. This is my life saddle. When I step into the saddle it's like putting on my favorite slippers aaaaaaahhh. Love it, can you tell. I traded and sold cheaper saddles for 12 years before I could afford this saddle. But I knew this is what I wanted. Also yes the lady wades are much lighter to handle too, almost 10lbs. My skirts are rounded, again less leather weight. It's a treasure to me for sure.

Sue
TWOPONY is offline   Reply With Quote