Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > General Horsemanship

Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
JB Horse
Weanling

Question Collection

I am seeking guidance & input.
How does one achieve a quality & "horse friendly" state of collection?

I am quite aware there is no "magic" or one-step process.
I understand the need for suppleness, flexibility, headset. I would appreciate input as to how Best achieve them -- "with" the horse, not "to" the horse
JB Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Jimmy
Foal

Boy, you don't want much, do you? LOL
I don't think it is even something you can instruct on adequately on a chat board, since it involves feel, and a lot of education, and experience in it.
One thing may will help, though, is don't look for it as something to be maintained for very long periods. A moment of balance. What you are talking about is something that cannot be achieved by bringing the horses head and neck to you. It is more an elevation, and sitting behind. Then again, there are varying levels of it.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Corry
Weanling

I wonder what the riders in this forum think about applying classical dressage concepts in this respect. I mean the true classical way of schooling horses, not the modern dressage traininig methods of competitive riders. I think of the old masters like Pluvinel, de la Guérinière, Steinbrecht (The Gymnasium of the Horse) and the younger masters like Udo Bürger (The Rider Forms the Horse), Dr. Thomas Ritter (Dressage Principles based on Biomechanics), etc.

Both the vaquero-style horsemanship and classical dressage have the same roots. The Spaniards brought their skills and knowledge of horse training to the New World. Further, the basic biomechanical principles are the same for all kinds of horses.

When I started riding vaquero style and, particularly, using the hackamore I reread and rethought from a new perspective what the old European masters had passed down to us and I found that their ideas work very well with the hackamore and even the spade bit which resembles bits used in Europe in the baroque period. And I found that in the baroque period trainers started horses in a cavecon to teach the horse the basic principles. In the next step they added a leverage bit - not a snaffle bit - to the cavecon. And the finished horse they rode straight up with only one hand. This practice is very similar to the vaquero-style but very different from modern dressage methods.

The true classical dressage way of schooling horses is horse-friendly. It's a thoroughly thought through system whose development took hundreds of years with roots even 2000 years back to the Greek Xenophon. It's a logical step-by-step training system that requires about six to eight years of training to make a finished horse. It uses a certain order of exercises and defines subgoals to patiently develop suppleness, straightness, balance and stance of the horse. A grand prix horse schooled in a true classical manner is as light as a bridle horse. A horse that is able to do a correct(!!!) piaffe is also able to perform a good turn. Until world war I the manual of the German cavalry described a maneuver for the war horse that is very similar to a set and turn of a cow horse. Only it was not used to work cows but to attack enemies in the battle. I mean, the requirements were in great part very similar. So, I think that these methods could be useful for the training of a hackamore horse, too. What do you think?
Corry is offline   Reply With Quote