Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > The Snaffle Bit Horse

Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
JB Horse
Weanling

Default JB Horse

In a workshop I conducted:
The owner, & head trainer, of the stable revolted when I presented the snaffle bit. She does not allow students to use a snaffle. She feels that snaffles an abusive & dangerous bit.

My response: "It's in the hands, not the bit." This statement has been used everywhere. I am constantly surprised about the concentration on "what a bit is for", how to "control" , etc. The belief that a "Correction" bit will cause collection & "correct" "high-headed" horses........

I, strongly, feel that mechanical hackamores should be outlawed. I am sick of seeing bleeding noses & continuing yanking & tugging to get "control."

Of course, the horse braces like heck.

I get frustrated with people's resistance to teaching themsevles & looking for the quick-fix. Thousands of dollars spent on clinics -- very few take the info home & continue. I rarely see anyone take notes.

I guess, at 66yrs, I am turning into a ol' curmudgeon.....
JB Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
Corry
Weanling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Horse View Post
I guess, at 66yrs, I am turning into a ol' curmudgeon.....
Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Horse View Post
I get frustrated with people's resistance to teaching themsevles & looking for the quick-fix. Thousands of dollars spent on clinics -- very few take the info home & continue. I rarely see anyone take notes.
I understand what you are talking about. I'm an instructor and trainer, too, and I found that I cannot help people who are not willing, or able, to work on themselves. I decided that as an instructor I can only OFFER support. It's the student's part to make use of it. Meanwhile, I see very clearly which students will never really succeed. Nevertheless, in case of those who are not able, but willing, I'm still going on to help them as far as possible. In case of those who are not willing, I quit as an instructor.

But there are others, though few, who are doing really fine.

I think, if there is only one single horse in the world that will have a little bit of a better life because there is one single rider who learned one little thing from me, then a whole life's work as an instructor was worth it. But, as I can see so far, there is already more than one. And I'm only 50yrs old, so, hopefully, there is some time left to increase the number

I'm sure when you look back you will find a lot of students who learned a lot from you and who will further on.

There is an idea that is not only true for equitation: There are a lot of things in the world, that are wrong. Some of them you can change, others you can't. Distinguish properly between the two kinds and only work on those you have a chance to change. Otherwise you waste your energy on the things you can't change anyway and have none left for the things you could change. You can't change the whole world, but, nevertheless, you can make it better (for the horses ).
Corry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
JB Horse
Weanling

Default JB Horse

Thanks for your response. You are correct.

You reminded me to revisit my "library." Ray H. had stated he cannot "teach" you, only make you "aware." Although we may overuse Ray's (et all) statements & quotes, they continue to be a "go to" in confusing situations.

These "reality checks" serve me well.
JB Horse is offline   Reply With Quote