Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Leather and Tack

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
MikeF
Foal

I've used saddle soaps and found it bothersome to clean the excess out of detailed tooling.
I've heard some use olive oil, and I've tried it on other saddles, but if you've ever tried moisturizing your hands with it in winter, it actually makes your hands much drier. I'm not convinced enough to use it on my Frecker.
My preference is using a light coating of neatsfoot oil occasionally, but as with everything, too much is never a good thing.
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
hhhranch07
Foal

I've been happy with Horsemans One Step so far. I've used it on saddles that have dried out and have some mold, the mold hasn't been back and the leather is still nice.
hhhranch07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
LMS
Foal

Thumbs up Saves time

I have found that beofre I start with anything wet, saddle soap oils etc. First I use the air compressor and blow all the dust off. Then start cleaning. Getting all the dust off first, really helps and is great for cleaning the deep tooling. I like Leather CPR gel for cleaning and then either neatsfoot or harness honey for conditioning. I like the information about olive oil though. I am going to try that.

LMS
LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
flyingcollie
Weanling

Mold . . . living in the dry, dry West, I never had to deal with it. I've used neatsfoot oil on leather for over 50 years, after a cleaning with saddlesoap. Olive oil seems counter-intuitive, being vegetable . . . you have to be sure you're not using petroleum oil when you buy neatsfoot oil, though. Make sure it's pure neatsfoot oil, a water-clear rendered animal oil. Many cans say "neatsfoot oil compound" these are petroleum oils. I'm not saying this is "best", but it's worked for me in this climate. I'm riding with saddles and bridles 40 years old and up . . .
flyingcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Fort fireman
Foal

I use Murphy's oil soap for most of my cleaning. Then usually twice a year, usually spring and fall I do a really good cleaning and conditioning with lexol or something of that sort.
Fort fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
JB Horse
Weanling

Default Leather Care

Saddle Butter & Leather Therapy.
JB Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
JB Horse
Weanling

Default More Leather Care

I forgot. Make sure you are NOT using a product with senthetic ingredients or silicone.

Many products have these undesirable ingredients, inform you this is a good thing. Don't fall for that crap.

The right stuff will put it on the label. Ray Holes products. Leather Therapy, & others. If you are not sure; contact the manufacturer. If they don't know --walk away.

I have been working with leather for years. I use Ray Holes' products & have great luck. If you are in the elements; hot,cold,wet,dry,etc, you will see your leather deteriorate. Mother Nature did not make her animals with senthentic hides..... Just my opinion..............
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
JB Horse
Weanling

Default Clean Leather

I forgot.
I use glyecerine soap. Leather New, is also, good.

Make darn sure you follow up with quality, & natural, conditioner.