Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Leather and Tack

Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
flyingcollie
Weanling

Default the horse's back

Our preconceived notions often turn out to be wrong. Reading these boards, I note "Brixton Boy" is almost apologetic about English tack, and those saddles have often been referred to as "postage stamps". I can't help wondering if there's a size disadvantage for the horse, as opposed to a stock saddle which distributes the rider's weight over a larger area ? On the other hand, they weigh a lot less, and I do know some "long riders" prefer 'em.

When I was a kid, for a time, we had to make do with an old McClellan, which I hated, but since the army used 'em from just before the Civil War through WWII and the end of horse cavalry, I'd like to think they would have abandoned them at some point through nearly 90 years' use if they'd been as hard on horses as that saddle was on me.

There was a time I often rode an English forward seat because it was so light, and easy to deal with quickly. I'd ride it to wander over the place to check on things, when I'd be spending more time out of the saddle than in it. I never rode it all day, or on the trail.

I've been riding the same saddle since '75 - built by a local maker with a good rep, it suits me fine, but I really don't know what to look for to assess how it fits my pony. All I can say is I've never had a horse with a sore back . . .
flyingcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Cattleman
Foal

Seeing as you are from Idaho, I assume you are either riding a Quarter Horse or a Thoroughbred?
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
flyingcollie
Weanling

Well, sorta . . . my current "project" pony qualifies for the Paint Horse registry (I never filled out the papers). She's likely more Q-horse than anything else, but she's not awfully type-y for a quarter horse.

There's a lot of variety in horse breeds 'round here. Idaho claims Appaloosas as the "state horse", of course. You have Thoroughbreds that spill over from the horse-race crowd; Tennessee Walkers seem real popular lately with trail riders. Of course stockmen still prefer quarter horses for ranch work . . . my wife's mare is on the "Part Arab" registry (grandma was a Saddlebred). Arabs, Morgans, Saddlebreds are all popular, Peruvian Paso Finos are currently faddish, as are Andalusians. Dressage devotees seem to like Trakheners (sp?) . . .

I don't know how the equine census stands currently, but 30+ years ago, Bingham County, Id., (where I hail from) had the largest population of draft horses in the country . . . ? I think you could find 'most any breed of horse you want locally.

Last edited by flyingcollie; 10-12-2012 at 08:02 PM.
flyingcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Cattleman
Foal

I used to live in South East Idaho, I forgot how much of a melting pot Idaho was with horses. There are a lot of great hands, and great horses in Idaho. You just have to drive 70 miles between each town to find them...
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Out West Saddlery
Foal

If you would like to learn more about saddle fitting evaluation the following pages from out web site might be helpful. http://outwestsaddlery.com/html/sadd...formation.html & http://outwestsaddlery.com/html/sadd...ng_guide_.html If you have any questions feel free to call us at 800-863-6405. Thanks, Terri Out West Saddlery
Out West Saddlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
mirage790
Foal

I started riding hunt seat as a teenager, then in my mid-30s I started dressage, and in the past 8-10 years I changed to western, with emphasis on Vaquero horsemanship the past 2 years or so. As with western saddles, it all depends on who made the saddle and how they are made that determines how well they fit the horse and rider. They can even be special order and custom made. Actually the English saddle tree isn't that much smaller than a western tree. It just looks smaller because the skirting of the western saddle extends well beyond the tree, but the English saddle pretty much IS the tree except for the flaps.

The English forward seat (jumping) saddles put the rider's weight also much closer to the withers where the back is the strongest. Plus the rider's weight is carried forward when they ride in 2-point contast (butt out of the saddle, only contract with two legs) to jump or gallop. Even when riding on the flat in 3-point contact (2 legs and their butt touching the saddle) they usually balance more weight on their thighs than on their rear end.

A dressage saddle has a larger tree and is heavier than a forward seat saddle. The rider sits up straighter and their weight is farther back on the horse that in a forward seat saddle, but not as far back as a western saddle yet. The larger size or the dressage saddle helps distribute the rider's weight which is concentrated in the center of the saddle. They sit back more than a hunt seat rider but their balance point is a lot smaller than either forward seat riding or western.

And of course I don't have to describe the western saddle to you! lol Hope this is what you were looking for.