Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > General Horsemanship

Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Jimmy
Foal

I read some of your post about this horse and you. You sound like your heart is in the right place. However, choosing an eight year old green broke 161/2 hand TB is akin to playing with dynamite when all you are ready for is sparklers. Yes, you will learn a lot along the way, if you survive, or are not seriously maimed. I am not kidding about this. I see it all the time. I would find someone who can give you appropriate riding lessons on a broke horse. Those people are even hard to find, because many of them are not what they present themselves as, so be careful. What you are attempting is like learning to be a doctor from books and videos. If you do not have at least a year of riding under your belt, on various kinds of horses, all the games and groundwork in the world cannot save you, if you do not understand what it is you are doing when you are on a horse's back. I would stay away from Parelli's system. It will enable you with a false sense of superior knowledge that will prove to be woefully lacking when you try to ride. Unless all you want to do is play in the round pen.
I have trained horse's professionally for now over 30 years. You cannot buy it. But you can start where you need to start. Unfortunately, what you need to know first, you are going to end up learning last, and usually after you are hurt. I my opinion, what is seriously lacking in most of the "natural horsemanship" enthusiasm is good generic riding instruction, and unless you are just a complete natural, it is a discipline you have to teach your body. I am only responding to you to scare you a little on purpose, based on your comment on your experiences with this horse so far. Just saying, be careful, is meaningless, because you may not even know what careful is. A big part of horsemanship is learning how not to get hurt!
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
MadCow
Foal

Well said Jimmy.
MadCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Steve C
Weanling

Well it certainly is a shame that this forum has taken to belittling particular clinicans. I don't think that was the intention when this forum started, it was about promoting a better way of horsemanship, of trying to understand the horse and help him, to set him up for success. Some of us on here may have different opinions but critizism for the sake of it rarely accomplishes anything positive.

But that is just my take on things

Steve
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Jimmy
Foal

That fellow was asking for advice. That was my advice.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
S-Kat Horsemanship
Foal

As stated above you do need to be careful. You are at a delicate time in your horse career and you can learn from it or become seriously injured or killed, but if you are persistent and use common sense. You can do it, but think before you do. I do not normally encourage people to attempt what you are doing, and you need to remember these warnings. Now on to horsemanship.
If you feel unsafe doing something don't do it. If you are pushing for a time frame, you are going to get in trouble. Keep your training times short. Work for 5 or 10 minutes on something then chill, the two of you go for a walk, give him a good brushing, anything to take your mind off what you were trying to do. Then come back and try again. I do believe in lots of standing and doing not much. Sometimes I stand and just work on tipping their nose. Not bending their head around but just tipping in the direction I lift the rein. I work at getting to where I can do it with less and less of a pull to the point where I can do it with a thought, then I start connecting it to their feet. Lift and they should tip their nose then turn. As soon as they tip their nose release, then when they take a step release. There are many books out there by many horseman and I wouldn't chose just one to follow. I would look at several and take a little from them all. No ones approach will completely work for you, but you have to adapt what you learn to work for you, but always remember it takes as long as it takes. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and what ever happens in the middle is just dandy. Be patient, be careful and have fun, If you are not having fun take a step back and find another way.
S-Kat Horsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
JB Horse
Weanling

Red face JB Horse

Thanks all, for your feedback & input regarding headset, feet, softness.

1) I am very open to learning & influence. I am new to this Forum. I find it very informative & thought provoking.
Also, I re-read Ray H's book; ".... Hands to the Feet to the Mind."

2) I have never used any device to tie the head down. I wouldn't want my head tied down...

Thanks again,
JB Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #17
JuneLu
Foal

Smile

Well it does depend on the age of your horse. For how long was he treated like that? If previous owner's cruel attitude lasted for a long time, it may take you a lot of efforts to help him help him to get accustomed to a new treatment. Just don't give up

Good luck!