Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > The Hackamore Horse

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Jimmy
Foal

Default Third video of hackamore horse project

"My goal for this project was not meant as instruction to others, but as an experiment for myself and a teaching tool for myself. I wanted to see if I could ride and teach a horse the movements and maneuvers of a working stock horse, with the classical idea of straightness. I wanted the emphasis to be on developing a straight horse right from the start, in a hackamore, one handed, or as close to one handed as possible, as if she were a finished bridle horse. I also wanted to experiment with establishing cues from the action of the reins themselves.
In the process, I wanted to find which flexions and use of the legs and seat are absolutely necessary to achieve this, and which actions are unnecessary and irrelevant. I wanted to do this with minimum of equipment, without stress to the horse, without unnecessary corrections, and without tiring the horse excessively. If I could just sit still in the middle of a horse, and try to arrange what is happening underneath me in the most minimal way, for the most optimum results. I am not sure I have achieved this, as it is a work in progress.
The other idea I had was to see what the difference between using the snaffle and hackamore was. To see what things I thought a snaffle would be better for, and why I thought I couldnít do the same with a hackamore.
So it is an ongoing lesson to myself, using video to check the progress, and examine my own short comings as a rider and a trainer."
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Tosch
Foal

"So it is an ongoing lesson to myself, using video to check the progress, and examine my own short comings ...."

What short comings?
Tosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
amateurvaquero
Foal

Really great stuff, Jimmy. I've enjoyed following this project a lot, and I'm amazed at what you've got working for you in such a short amount of time. There are many things I'll be thinking about from this video as I continue to ride in the hackamore.

Thank you.
amateurvaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
carlos coutinho
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

"My goal for this project was not meant as instruction to others, but as an experiment for myself and a teaching tool for myself. I wanted to see if I could ride and teach a horse the movements and maneuvers of a working stock horse, with the classical idea of straightness. I wanted the emphasis to be on developing a straight horse right from the start, in a hackamore, one handed, or as close to one handed as possible, as if she were a finished bridle horse. I also wanted to experiment with establishing cues from the action of the reins themselves.
In the process, I wanted to find which flexions and use of the legs and seat are absolutely necessary to achieve this, and which actions are unnecessary and irrelevant. I wanted to do this with minimum of equipment, without stress to the horse, without unnecessary corrections, and without tiring the horse excessively. If I could just sit still in the middle of a horse, and try to arrange what is happening underneath me in the most minimal way, for the most optimum results. I am not sure I have achieved this, as it is a work in progress.
The other idea I had was to see what the difference between using the snaffle and hackamore was. To see what things I thought a snaffle would be better for, and why I thought I couldnít do the same with a hackamore.
So it is an ongoing lesson to myself, using video to check the progress, and examine my own short comings as a rider and a trainer."
A sensibilidade esta em sua mente e suas m„os!
carlos coutinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
nwells
Foal

Default Thanks!

Thanks! This is a great video and I watch it weekly. I have just posted on another thread and hope to hear your thoughts if you have a chance. Thanks again.
nwells is offline   Reply With Quote