Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Ranch Roping

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Baquero
Foal

Default Wrapping your saddle horn

What type of material do you use to wrap your saddle horn? Cotton rope? Mule hide? Elk Hide? I found these pictures to illustrate how to wrap your saddle horn. Always wrap in the direction that you dally. I always soak the material in water, then when it dries it becomes very tight. I do this with my cotton rope wraps, and mule hide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horn Wrap 1.jpg (26.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg horn wrap 2.jpg (26.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg horn wrap 3.jpg (25.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg horn wrap 4.jpg (27.9 KB, 105 views)
Baquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
pimpcowboy
Foal

I use to use rubber until i really started to get into the vaquero style of horsemanship. Then after building a pair of white chinks for a gal i used some of the scrap to rewrap my horn. Long story shortened love it ropes last longer and its easier on the ponies....
pimpcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Mauifarrier
Foal

Default More how-to on Horn Wraps

I imagine the photos of the wrap process are for demonstration only. The mule hide wrap was wider than ideal for the narrow horn it was pictured on, and it was not pulled tight. That's OK

I highly recommend the horn wrap article by Bob Klenda in the 2009 Sept/Oct issue of the leathercrafter & saddler's Journal. http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com/2009new.html

He demonstrates more than one style of horn wrap, shares patterns, and offers some excellent secrets and techniques for getting the job done. Well worth the $ to buy a back issue.

I make hawaiian style saddles and have personally wrapped horns with Latigo, English Bridle, Chap, and Mule hide. I find that the Horn width and height help guide you in how wide to cut your strip. If you purchase a mule hide horn wrap it is usually quite wide and meant for Wade style horns. It does not necessarily look all that flattering on a narrow horn. The narrower horns do best with a narrower strip, like 1"-1.5", and often accept a thinner leather better like latigo or chap.

Wetting the wrap is a necessary first step. But you can also "case" it by leaving it in a ziploc bag for 4+ hours. And any grained leather like chap, latigo, etc should be soaped as well. I use my braiding soap which is 50% Fiebings Glycerin Bar, and 50% Fels Naptha (old fashioned laundry soap). You grate both bars on the small holes of a cheese grater and add water till it is the consistency is that of mucous. Store it in a tupperware.

The horn wrap I just finished is of English Bridle Belly, 1 5/8" wide, skived on the underside, cased and soaped. I pull as much stretch as I can out of the wrap before I even set it on the saddle. Practice the wrap once or twice before tacking it down under the fork. The horn is about 3.5" wide on the cap, and the neck is 2" wide.

Aloha,
Gretchen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornwrap.jpg (25.8 KB, 74 views)
Mauifarrier is offline   Reply With Quote