Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Ranch Roping

Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Cattleman
Foal

Default Ranch Roping Event

I am thinking of organizing a ranch roping event in my area. I want to get some feedback from people on what they would like to see. I am interested in hearing what others enjoy seeing or would like to see at an event. I am thinking maybe:

-Doctoring both 3 man and 2 man (what animals would you like to see doctored besides cows, bulls? mules? buffalo? I have access to a lot of different animals and am toying with the idea of some different things)

-A called shot event, where each round a person has to do a particular shot in order to advance. For ex. a figure-8, Houlihan, overhand, backhand, scoop loop, hip shots, over the hip shots, Del viento, Contra Del Viento, Johnny blockers, and side arm.

-In the 2 man events each person must complete a head shot and a heel shot.

-Do you like to see them come out of the herd? or out of a shoot and into the arena?

-Multiple head within a time limit? Or one per team per round?

-What about including stock competitions like sorting, penning, or maneuvers?

What other things would you think would be cool to see at an event? Any thoughts are appreciated...
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
flyingcollie
Weanling

I can see the usual out-of-the-chute "jackpot" type of roping most anywhere, any time, and I only have to go down the road a mile.

Called shot and out of the herd, "real ranch" roping, I'd like to see, and it would be interesting to see handling to doctor something besides calves.

For myself, I do mean "see", 'cause I never was a hand at roping, much less on the green pony I just started, but I'm close enough to Utah to show up and get educated, unless you're so far south you can throw a rock into Arizona.

What time of year are you thinking of putting this together ?
flyingcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Cattleman
Foal

It will be in the fall, I will definitely keep you posted as details become available. Does anyone else have any input on it? If it were to be a called shot event paired with a team doctoring what shots would you like to see?
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Steve C
Weanling

Damn shame I live on the other side of the world, would love to come to such an event, good luck with it.

Steve
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

If it were me putting on a called shot event. I would have different classes for different level ropers and have the advanced people throw the advanced shots. The lower level ropers throw lower level shots. Just my opinion.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote