Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Ranch Roping

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Cattleman
Foal

Default The rope you throw

What is your favorite rope? Where do you buy your ropes? Do you make your own ropes?

I have a 60 foot braided reata that I have used a few times but I spent enough money on it, that I only bring it out for certain events. In some ways I don't feel like I am a good enough roper to use it all the time. My favorite rope is a 60' 3/8 xs nylon rope I got from my local tack store. It took a while for me to break in the rope but now I am able to make more consistent catches with this rope than the other ones that I have.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
CanadianBuckaroo
Foal

I use my reata quite a bit and it 80 ft but aside from that i have a 60ft xxs nylon with rawhide honda from platte valley. www.plattevalleysaddle.com
CanadianBuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Maverick_73
Foal

I've been looking to buy a reata to practice with in my spare time while im here at college. Any suggestions for a decent rope for a poor college kid?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
CanadianBuckaroo
Foal

For a reata good luck on cheap. Most reata's will run pretty high the site i have on my last post is selling theirs for $350. I made mine which was way cheaper
CanadianBuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
FrancisHeritageRanch
Foal

I rope mostly with weighted poly's. I prefer the 4 strand. I use nylon some in xs or xxs. I have used treated cotton and didn't really like it. I really like the feel of a good reata too. I am going to try a maugey soon.
FrancisHeritageRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Cattleman
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_73 View Post
I've been looking to buy a reata to practice with in my spare time while im here at college. Any suggestions for a decent rope for a poor college kid?
The term "reata" is used to commonly refer to a braided rawhide rope. These are very expensive, and are difficult to throw for beginners. If you are just looking to mess around and practice. When I started out I used the old ropes around the barn. I know some tack stores will sell used ropes for less than $10. This will help you in learning how to handle the rope, make the loop, and practice your release. If you want to practice throwing big loops, you will want to get a longer xs or xxs rope 45-60' poly or nylon rope. Some people in my area swear by king ropes. If you are just looking for a shorter rope to mess around with I would suggest a Cactus Hypnotic or Mojo rope or classic ropes are good for the money. Any of these ropes can be had for about $40. Then get a saw-horse, or something to practice roping. Start 6' away and throw, throw, throw till you don't miss your target 50 times. Then take two steps back and repeat until you can stand a good distance and nail the target consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisHeritageRanch View Post
I rope mostly with weighted poly's. I prefer the 4 strand. I use nylon some in xs or xxs. I have used treated cotton and didn't really like it. I really like the feel of a good reata too. I am going to try a maugey soon.
I have wanted to try a heavier maugey rope
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Maverick_73
Foal

Thank you so much cattleman, that helps a whole lot!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Vaquero7
Foal

I've got a xxxs nylon rope with a metal hondo that I rope horses with and a three strand gold poly with a lead core for cows. I really like the weighted poly, but it doesn't get better than a good reata
Vaquero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #9
Holger
Foal

Just wondering what your thoughts are about nylon/poly blend ropes?
Holger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Cattleman
Foal

I like nylon/poly blends for certain situations, the ones I have used seem to stand up and hold a little better for heel shots.