Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > Ranch Roping

Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
BarrelRacer15
Foal

Default What type of horse do you use?

I am into barrel racing.. But living on a farm I wanted to switch my horse to become a ranch horse.. one that can push cattle and rope if I needed to.. Is there a certain type of horse that you look for? Could I use a little paint gelding? He isnt very stocky either.. but could it work? are stocky horses prefered?

thanks

BarrelRacer15
BarrelRacer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Cattleman
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer15 View Post
Could I use a little paint gelding?
Yes, you could for starting out you can teach most horses how to push cattle and rope off of. But if you are wanting to get serious you will want to look for a "BIG paint gelding" a little horse will have smaller legs and won't do well barrel racing. For ranch work I prefer a horse with bigger bones and muscle, a bigger built horse generally handles the weight of cattle, and the stresses of ranching better than smaller horses. Most ranchers in my area use Quarter horses or Thoroughbreds to get the job done.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
BarrelRacer15
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman View Post
" a little horse will have smaller legs and won't do well barrel racing. .

thanks for the responce. I agree that for cow work Id probably Have to use my other horse.. but I dis agree with that above statement by you. My smaller gelding.. Does alot better barrel racing then some big horses.. Why do you say a horse with Smaller legs won't do well in barrel racing? IME I have to disagree
BarrelRacer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Rex Easley
Weanling

I like them cheap and old enough to take a long day.
Rex Easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Cattleman
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer15 View Post
thanks for the responce. I agree that for cow work Id probably Have to use my other horse.. but I dis agree with that above statement by you. My smaller gelding.. Does alot better barrel racing then some big horses.. Why do you say a horse with Smaller legs won't do well in barrel racing? IME I have to disagree
I like a horse with longer strides (longer legs) for speed events. Maybe it would be better to examine what exactly is needed for a barrel horse to be successful. I had this discussion last night with a lady at the arena I train at. She is a beginner barrel racer, she spent about $10,000 on her first horse and some more to have a former race horse trainer work with it. I was working a young filly in a round pen near the arena. I watched as she practiced the pattern. We have spoken on numerous times so I knew she wouldn't feel bothered if I offered some advice.

I asked her to break down what she had to ask her horse to do during each event. It started with you run around three barrels and try and do it in as short amount of time as possible. We then broke it down further, you ask your horse to make three turns. These three turns can either be a left, right, right, or a right, left, left. We broke it down even further, what is required of a horse to make a left hand turn? which muscles is the horse using? Where is the weight on the horse? Which leg is the horse pivoting on? When do you ask the horse to plant his feet? where in the stride to you cue the horse for the turn? Where is the rest of his body during this maneuver? After we broke down all the mechanics of the turn, I asked her how she as a rider could aide the horse in positioning his body for this turn. We broke that down, where is your weight, where are your hands, where are your feet, what part of your leg are you using, how should your torso be aligned? how do you as a rider "get out of the way" of the parts of the horse that are doing the work? We then moved on to the acceleration after the turn, and how to properly lift and use the haunches of the horse. I explained that as any racer (not just barrel) your timing is made up of all the little things.

After working out the mechanics of the actual event. I then said ok, "now we need to examine your horse" She rode her horse around the arena and I pointed out a few of the tendencies that her horse had. Things about his natural gate and the lead that he favored, how the horse balanced, and so forth. We then started to incorporate those into things she could help build in her training of her horse. And how she would utilize those in her barrel pattern. I concluded with her by saying "speed is about perfecting the little things, and maintaining balance"
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Travis Morgan Horseshoein
Foal

Sounds like you'd be better off starting with a horse that's been used on a ranch or feedlot for five years or so. He'll know more than you.
Travis Morgan Horseshoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Vaquero7
Foal

A good big horse is nice. I like thoroughbred quarter horse crosses. The nicest horse I ever rode though was a Andalusian quarter horse cross. Get a horse that's got experience roping though, he'll save you from a lot of accidents.
Vaquero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Jimmy
Foal

I rode two Aztecas all last winter. They made excellent ranch horses, and were a lot of fun. Here is one playing with a garrocha pole.

Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote