Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > The Classroom > The Hackamore Horse

Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
Rex Easley
Weanling

Once you ride a horse using balance and signals you will see that a horse never hardens or dulls out because they have nothing to harden or dull out too. Using any type of pull will dull a horse and you will always have to "lighten" Up with either your hands or legs. I dont want my horses to "take" a pull ever because we all know how much pull it takes to get one o "take" it. Once you teach a horse to take a pull you will always have to pull.
Rex Easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #32
Jimmy
Foal

Well, all I can say, is that you must be a freakin' genius, and can see the stitches on a fast ball! lol just kiddn'
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #33
Rex Easley
Weanling

I have a long way to go but I think it is worth a shot. I think it is pretty neat to ride a horse that trusts a guy not to foul him, they get such a neat confidence. I have ridin all the other ways and nothing ever felt as good as this. I have seen many guys claim to know the old ways of riding with signals but then I would see them step behind the barn and go to mashin on them. I already know how to do that but I want something better. I remember when I was a kid I helped Tony Peirce ship out of Hollister, CA. The crew was all old school bridle horseman. Most were in their 60s. They were so smooth, I never saw them ride their horses. They just slipped around and barley sturred the dust. I was amazed how quiet and efficient they were. They loaded 35 trucks in 5 hours. The truck drivers couldnt even get out of their trucks to visit with each other it was so fast. They averaged 7 minutes per truckload. I have never seen anything like it since.
Rex Easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
Corry
Weanling

Default Fiador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Easley View Post
The rider supports the hackamore so it is just off the chin or a Fiador can be used for this too. This creates a "neutral" or a place where the horse will learn to go and eventually stay.
I'm pondering about whether there is a difference between the rider supporting the hackamore and the use of a fiador. I understand that the fiador clearly determines where the neutral is. But the fiador can fix only one single position. Sure, there is only one single neutral that correlates with the perfect stance of a horse we aim at.

But, I think, in the process of making a bridle horse we have to develop this final stance step by step. At each stage of the training process there is a certain shape of head set that is appropriate for the level of training achieved at that point of time. The break at the poll is related to how the horse uses its hindlegs and his back. To supple and to strengthen the hindlegs and back needs lots of time and comes only gradually. So, we only can ask for a development of the head set also gradually. We can't ask a colt to carry his head like a finished horse for a longer period of time. For some time of the training process the appropriate head set will be with the horse's nose a bit in front of the vertical and not exactly at the perpendicular. If this is the case, the fiador would hinder the appropriate release because it only "releases" when the horse has found the perfect and final position, which the horse can't achieve at that point of time. At that stage of the training the horse should get a release for any tiny improvement in stance and movement. This is something only a rider's feeling hand can do, but no fiador, because it "works" mechanically. The rider's hands can adjust to the head set that is appropriate for the movement as the horse can do it right now according to how far it has advanced in its training.

On the other hand, I can think of a horse in a more advanced stage of training. In case of a horse that is already able to carry itself so that the rider can ask it to stay with the nose at the perpendicular, the fiador maybe could help to limit the rider's cues to a minimum because the fiador "sets the head" and the rider only steps in to improve the balance and/or trigger a new movement. That would be similar to the use of the spade bit.

If I understand the whole thing right, the fiador is useful when used with a horse that is ready for the bit, or almost ready. Maybe one step of refinement? But I can't see an advantage using it for a horse that hasn't learned to carry itself so far.

I would be happy to learn what you think about this topic.
Corry is offline   Reply With Quote