Classic Horsemanship  

Go Back   Classic Horsemanship > Forum Business > Introductions

Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
amateurvaquero
Foal

Default Trying to follow the vaquero way in the midwest

Hi, I'm Brian from Iowa City. My wife and I ride horses and do our best to follow in this tradition. It can be tough, as we don't know anyone near us who also does this. But we do make it to a couple clinics a year, and sources like this forum are invaluable.

I just found it this morning, and already it has made an impact on my riding. While enjoying my coffee I read through all the hackamore threads and went out to ride with some new ideas. I can say without a doubt I had the best hackamore ride ever. I've been riding in it for a little over a year, but I've got a really long way to go. I'm looking forward to the journey, though.
amateurvaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Mares Tales
Foal

Hi Brian,

You don`t live that far from Kip Fladland.

www.lariataranch.com
Mares Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
amateurvaquero
Foal

Thanks Mares. We have met Kip at some of Buck's clinics, but we have not had a chance to visit him at his own place yet. It is definitely something we'd like to do. I was definitely happy when I found out he was nearby.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
DianeOraif
Foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurvaquero View Post
Hi, I'm Brian from Iowa City. My wife and I ride horses and do our best to follow in this tradition. It can be tough, as we don't know anyone near us who also does this. But we do make it to a couple clinics a year, and sources like this forum are invaluable.

I just found it this morning, and already it has made an impact on my riding. While enjoying my coffee I read through all the hackamore threads and went out to ride with some new ideas. I can say without a doubt I had the best hackamore ride ever. I've been riding in it for a little over a year, but I've got a really long way to go. I'm looking forward to the journey, though.
I feel your pain on this one! There is practically no one in my area that knows about this style of riding, except one guy who moved here from Cali and trains professionally.

I am brand new to this forum, however I have seen a name or two that I recognize from other social media. Nice to see we travel in the same circles, guys.

I am in an area where almost no one knows what "Californio" style means, and they do not understand my bosal. My horse is not ready for double rein yet, but they will flip out when they see rein chains and a romal. They all know what logging with a mule in a wire snaffle is, but to them the heavy bits for a Vaquero horse would be cruel. To them a "hackamore" is that crazy mechanical thing, and they ask if I am going to use a bosal, why not just use a halter. They don't get it, but hopefully I can produce a horse that makes them pay attention. He's moving along nicely since the few weeks I have had him and at this rate he will be suitable in a year or two.
DianeOraif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
amateurvaquero
Foal

I hear you Diane. I think a lot of the other riders at our barn have seen some of the tack, but they really don't understand it. But after riding this way for three years, we now have some people asking us for advice and ways to help with their horses.

I think just riding well and making a good horse, while also being open to what others are doing is the best way to go. Not necessarily the fastest when you don't have any great riders to learn from, but who says we need to do it the fastest?